- On November 17, 2017
Starting January 1, 2018, nearly all private employees in New York State will be eligible for Paid Family Leave.
Employers’ Checklist: What You Need to Do Now
Ensure you have Paid Family Leave Coverage.
- Most private employers with one or more employees are required to obtain Paid Family Leave insurance. Contact your broker or insurer to get information about available policies
- Generally, Paid Family Leave insurance will be added to the disability insurance policy you already carry
- If you are self-insured for disability, you may purchase a separate Paid Family Leave policy or apply to self-insure
Post a Workforce Notice.
- Your insurance carrier will provide a Notice of Compliance stating you have Paid Family Leave insurance
- If you are self-insured, you can get this notice by contacting the Board at Certificates@wcb.ny.gov to obtain the required notice which is not available on this website
- Post and maintain this notice in a conspicuous place, like what is required for Worker’s Compensation and Disability Insurance coverage
Inform Your Employees About Paid Family Leave.
- Update appropriate written materials that you give your employees, such as employee handbooks, to include Paid Family Leave information
- If you do not have an employee handbook, provide written guidance to employees on their rights and obligations under Paid Family Leave, including information on how to request leave
Update Your Payroll Processes.
- Update internal processes or work with your external payroll manager to collect the employee payroll withholdings or contributions that pay for the insurance. Use the ny.gov/pflcalculator to get an estimate of an employee’s weekly deduction. (Looks like this is being handled by ADP for them)
Inform Non-Eligible Employees About Waivers.
- Identify employees who will not qualify for the minimum amount of time required for eligibility (see Employee Eligibility section) and let them know they can choose to waive coverage
- Employees will need to complete a waiver and a template waiver form is available at ny.gov/PaidFamilyLeave
- Keep a copy of completed waivers on file
Familiarize Yourself with Paid Family Leave Forms and Other Resources.
- Paid Family Leave request and waiver forms are available in the forms section of this website
- For updates on Paid Family Leave, please click here to subscribe to updates
Contact For Assistance.
- Call 8:30am – 4:30pm ET at 844-337-6303, Monday – Friday
REMEMBER: An employer may not discriminate or retaliate against employees for requesting or taking Paid Family Leave.